Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Heart of Wye Oak


Less than a year after their acclaimed, dark triumph The Knot, Baltimore’s Wye Oak offer My Neighbor / My Creator, a vibrant EP that brims with melody and creative detours over five new recordings. My Neighbor / My Creator will be released today via digital download in the Merge store. The EP will be available at all other digital outlets on April 20 and the CD will be in stores on June 8. You can also buy the CD from Wye Oak at their spring tour dates.

Collaborating with outside producers for the first time, Jenn Wasner and Andy Stack’s four new songs feel loose and direct, from the tumbling opener “My Neighbor” to the propulsive “Emmylou.” “My Creator” and “I Hope You Die” begin like ballads but soon reveal unexpected layers of saxophone and percussion over Wasner’s cascading vocals.

It's sweet and charming stuff that's in no hurry at all. "I Hope You Die," is a lush, sweeping, non non-violwnr little song with emotionally draining vocals that call for you to shuffle off your mortal coil. It's traumatically beautiful stuff that subtly mixes horns with an organ and brushed drums to achieve heavenly results.

Judging by that tune alone, My Neighbor / My Creator is anything but a stopgap, My Neighbor / My Creator is yet another significant step forward for this young and impressive band.

Download: I Hope You Die

No comments: